Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Black Sesame Seed Cake 黑芝麻蛋糕



Last weekend I decided to try out this recipe which I have bookmarked among my baking books collection. It is a relatively easy to make cake with minimum fuss with the usual preparation procedures as many other cake. 

The reason why I chose this recipe  was more towards the sesame part as I am a fan of sesame products and have used lots of sesames in cooking, particularly the oil. A good friend of mine gave me a kg pack of black sesame seeds some time ago and no matter how hard I tried I just could finish consuming it. Through this recipe, I was hoping to clear up the supply and also to find out for myself how it actually taste in baking. 

For the icing cream, you may use any frosting recipe of your preference.  This is the original version of icing proposed by the author of this recipe. Cake frosting is the part I am still shunning away from.  Instead of baking and icing the entire cake as per what the recipe called for, I baked mine in muffin cups and decorate the top with the proposed icing.


Black Sesame Seed Cake

Ingredients (A)
5 Grade A Eggs
140g Castor Sugar
160g Cake Flour
80g Black Sesame Seed Powder
40ml Fresh Milk
1 Tsp Ovalette (Optional)

(B)
200g Butter

Icing Cream (C)
100g Shortening
120g Butter
150g Golden Syrup
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essence

Pandan Coloring

Method

Preheat oven to 170C degrees. Line bottom of a 13" x 13" x 1" baking pan, Set Aside.

Blend A with blender at high speed for 5 minutes till light and fluffy. Set Aside

Blend B till thick and creamy, gradually fold in batter. Pour batter evenly into prepared  baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. If using muffin cups 15-18 mins baking time.

Icing Cream
Blend butter until soften. Fold in shortening and whip till fluffy. Add in vanilla essence and golden syrup and mix till well incorporated. Scoop out a small portion and add pandan coloring. Stir well and set aside.

Cut the cake horizontally into 3 layers. Spread icing cream over the first layer of cake, place second layer onto it, then spread another layer of icing cream over and place the 3rd layer of cake on top (not applicable for cake baked in muffin cups).

Cover the cake with icing cream.

Pipe some green icing onto the cake and decorate as desired.


No comments :

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...